Tuesday 10 November 2015

Alchemilla xanthochlora (Intermediate Lady's-mantle) new native for Co. Wexford

 Margaret Bradshaw the BSBI Referee for Alchemilla has confirmed the specimen of Alchemilla xanthochlora I sent her from a road side at Ballymaclare, 6km south of New Ross. This is a new native species for Wexford, the nearest site in Ireland is c. 80km away. Almost went unnoticed as I put down Alchemilla mollis (Garden Lady's-mantle) on my recording card at the first patch I saw, still didn't cross my mind it wasn't A. mollis when I walked past the second population along the road verge. It wasn't until I was having a cuppa in the car that I thought to myself there is a lot of Lady's-mantle for a garden escape. Took another look, realising the leaves were more or less hairless, I knew it couldn't be A. mollis as that has very hairy leaves.
 Below, one of the verges the Alchemilla xanthochlora (Intermediate Lady's-mantle) was growing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment